Old Hungarian closed e and naming of Old Hungarian standard

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 19 08:57:18 CDT 2023

This Unicode list is for general discussions of people interested in
Unicode. It is not a way to reach "Unicode members". There's a firm
policy of not treating anything discussed here as "official" in any way.

That said, the list is often used to get an informal read on some issue.
Not excluding getting an idea whether a proposal or suggestion has a
chance of succeeding (and also, what is the best way to describe the issue).

As to the latter: very few people will know offhand whether 10C8A is
already encoded, is in the process of being encoded or merely proposed.
So it's always useful to provide that information in discussion or
document submissions.

Character or normative script names can't be changed after the fact (and
changes are also increasingly restricted in the latest stages of the
process, to make sure things converge). And that's why, ultimately,
names are not guaranteed to be "correct" from a linguistic perspective.

I find the original mail hard to parse, and have difficulties
understanding what is being asked (and why). It seems to include adding
an annotation, which is fine, but one that I find hard to understand.
Phonetically, "closed" has a certain meaning and usually in character
names, that's the meaning we would attribute to the term "closed". If,
in this case, the term "closed" is based on something else, like a
typographical feature, then an annotation that says that would be
helpful. If that is not the issue, it would be just more evidence that
the presentation of the issue is impenetrable.

As for describing the script. At some point, the formal name ends up not
being perfect for some scripts. However, if the problem is in the
discussion, or in an annotation in the nameslist, we are not constrained
by stability concerns and should accommodate a more precise/more
agreeable description. However, the original e-mail fails to make an
actual suggestion for language, and fails to identify precisely where
such language should be used.

An actual submission will have more success if it is clearer in all the
aspects mentioned and separates proposed changes clearly from the
background discussions / rationale.

A./