Old Hungarian closed e and naming of Old Hungarian standard

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Wed Jul 19 11:17:24 CDT 2023

Asmus,

In Unicode character naming, "CLOSED", when used with letter names,
always refers to aspects of the shape of the typical glyph for the
character. Example for the Latin script:

0277 LATIN SMALL LETTER *CLOSED *OMEGA

Other instances of this convention for the Latin script: 025E, 029A,
A7D0, A7D1, 1078F, 107A4

Example for the Cyrillic script:

1658 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER *CLOSED *LITTLE YUS

Other instances of this convention for the Cyrillic script: A659, A65C, A65D

The *only* used of "CLOSE" in the context of a /letter /name is for
these two Old Hungarian letters:

10C8A OLD HUNGARIAN CAPITAL LETTER *CLOSE E*
10CCA OLD HUNGARIAN SMALL LETTER *CLOSE E*

In these instances (and *only* in these instances) "CLOSE E" refers to
the close (or "high") mid front vowel, IPA [e], as distinct from the
open (or "low") mid front vowel, IPA [ɛ].

Note that the IPA distinction in vowel height is "close" versus "open",
not "closed" versus "open":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel#Height

The situation is confusing to some because standard Hungarian writes "e"
for [ɛ] and "é" for [e:], but there is also the convention, in dialect
forms, to write "ë" for [e], i.e., the short close-mid front vowel.

--Ken