Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Andrew West via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Feb 28 08:00:54 CST 2018

On 28 February 2018 at 13:22, Christoph Päper via Unicode
<unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

>> The 157 new Emoji are now available for adoption
>
> But Unicode 11.0 (which all new emojis but Pirate Flag and Infinity rely upon) is not even in beta yet.

Don't even get me started on that!

>> There are approximately 7,000 living human languages,
>> but fewer than 100 of these languages are well-supported on computers,
>> mobile phones, and other devices. Adopt-a-character donations are used
>> to improve Unicode support for digitally disadvantaged languages, and to
>> help preserve the world’s linguistic heritage.
>
> Why is the announcement mentioning those numbers of languages at all?

I agree, the figures are meaningless and misleading (and intended to
mislead). I could list a hundred languages that are written with the
Latin script without pausing for breath. There are very very few
scripts in modern daily use that are not yet encoded in the UCS, but
letting out that secret will not help the Unicode Consortium to raise
money from character adoption.

The latest grant to Anshu from Character Adoption money is for three
historic scripts
(http://blog.unicode.org/2018/02/adopt-character-grant-to-support-three.html).
If there were still so many digitally disadvantaged languages urgently
in need of script encoding then surely the Unicode Consortium would be
sponsoring those as a priority rather than historic scripts.

Andrew