Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Feb 28 16:33:03 CST 2018

>:

> > There are approximately 7,000 living human languages,
> > but fewer than 100 of these languages are well-supported on computers,
> > mobile phones, and other devices.

Fewer than 100 languages is a bit small, I can count nearly about 200
languages well supported with all the necessary basic support to develop
them with content. The limitation however is elsewhere: in education and
litteracy level for these languages so that people start using them as well
on the web and in other medias or use them more easily in their daily life
and improve the quality and coverage of data available in these languages.
This includes developing an orthography (many languages don't have any
developed and supported orthography, even if there was attempts to create
dictionnaries, including online with Wikitionary).

With the encoded scripts, you can already type and view correctly thousands
of languages. This these languages are living, it should not be difficult
to support most of them with the existing scripts that are already encoded
(we've reched the point where we only have to encode historic scripts, to
preserve the cultures or languages that have disappeared or are dying fast
since the begining of the 20th century). Even if major languages will
persist and regional languages will die, this should not be done without
reintegrating in those major languages some significant parts of the past
regional cultures, which can still become sources for enriching these major
languages so that they become more precise and more useful and allow then
easier access to past regional languages, possibly then directly in their
original script, with people then able to decipher them or being interested
to study them. Past languages and preserved texts will then remain as a
rich source for keeping existing languages alive, vivid, productive for new
terms, without having to necessarily borrow terms from less than 20 large
"international" languages (ar, de, en, es, fa, fr, nl, id, ja, ko, pt, ru,
hi, zh), written in only 6 well developed scripts (Arab, Latn, Cyrl, Deva,
Hang, Hans, Jpan).