metric for block coverage

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Feb 18 17:06:06 CST 2018

For Latin, usually looking for the coverage of Vietnamese works quite
well... except for African languages that need additional uncommon Latin
letters (open o, open e, alpha, some turned/mirrored/stroked letters), in
which case you should look also for IPA coverage (but you may missing their
associated capital letters sometimes needed too in these African
languages). Unfortunately the IPA subset of "Latin" symbols includes many
letters (only lowercase) that have no associated capitals, and trying to
match the full coverage of IPA is not needed for African languages (and the
variant of "g" added in Latin for IPA only is really unfortunate where it
should have been encoded as a variant of standard "g"). And the capital
SHARP S (ESSTSETT in German) may still be frequently missing in the font (I
don't know if renderers will try to lookup the glyph from another font, or
if they'll fallback to the lowercase sharp s mapped in the font !).