metric for block coverage

Leonardo Boiko via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Feb 18 16:03:26 CST 2018

The most useful feature for me (Debian user, linguist) would be a search
system where I can provide a string, and filter fonts to those who include
glyphs for all characters; ideally if I could also combine it with other
search criteria, like OTF features (true small caps, etc.).  I often write
academic texts where I use specialized characters not really classifiable
by language, script or block (say, 'ǎ/ǚ' for pīnyīn, plus IPA tone marks,
plus multiple combining diacritics like 'ā́', all in the same running
text).  I then need visual inspection to choose a font that actually looks
halfway decent, typographically speaking, and to check for bugs in IPA
kerning, etc.  For a long time now, I've been using a simple Python script
to filter fonts in this manner (it just straightforwardly renders the
provided characters, then uses `pango.Layout.get_unknown_glyphs_count()` to
remove fonts lacking them, and displays all the rest for inspection).