What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 19 06:53:40 CST 2024

I wonder if the encoding rules are no longer fit for purpose.

The encoding process should be to be helpful to consumers, not to lead
to an agreement to restrict progress.

I get the impression - and if I have got it wrong please correct me -
that if one were using the krul character in a desktop publishing
program that the likely scenario is that there is a large rectangular
text frame filling most of the page and containing text in the Dutch
language, in, say, 14 point, and there is in the right margin, near the
lower edge of the page, a small rectangular text frame into which the
krul character is inserted, quite possibly at a larger size than the
other text, at, say, 36 point or 48 point.

Thus the krul character is not within a line of running text involving
other characters as well as itself.

I say that the fact that the krul character is not within a line of
running text involving other characters as well as itself should not go
against the encoding of the krul character as a regular Unicode
character.

This is because, in practice an end user is likely to want to introduce
the krul character from a font. So encoding the krul character in
regular Unicode would be helpful to end users and in my opinion being
helpful to end users and consumers is what is important in encoding
decisions.

William Overington

Monday 19 February 2024