What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Giacomo Catenazzi cate at cateee.net
Mon Feb 19 09:44:58 CST 2024

On 19 Feb 2024 13:53, William_J_G Overington via Unicode wrote:

> This is because, in practice an end user is likely to want to introduce
> the krul character from a font. So encoding the krul character in
> regular Unicode would be helpful to end users and in my opinion being
> helpful to end users and consumers is what is important in encoding
> decisions.

I agree, but I would not formulate on such generic way. It must be
useful in practice, not just potentially useful. By being in Unicode
standard doesn't make any symbol useful to users *per se*, as we see in
many technical symbols: they are in Unicode, but impossible to use
because nobody do a good font (or any font).

IMHO we lack of volunteers (or money). Now it seems it is mostly on SIL
and on Google (Noto font), but they still need to implement a lot of
missing symbols and also scripts). This particular case may be simpler:
there is no lack of people which understand the character and the glyph
(and no strange script rules), but we should be careful not to go much
behind, and so telling browsers and publishing programs to just start
ignoring *second class* characters.

So we should weight more parameters, so that user will get something
useful for real. (Note: with time things will improve).

giacomo