Zero-Width Joiner U+200D

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 21 05:01:53 CST 2023

On 2/21/2023 1:19 AM, Jukka K. Korpela via Unicode wrote:
> My interpretation of this is that ZWJ should have no effect when it
> does not appear between two graphic characters.

Not what I remember as the intent when we introduced the character way
back when. Clearly one of the design features was to also support
"didactic" formatting, that is, bracketing a character with joiners or
non-joiners to be able to show positional forms in isolation.

While later compromises forced the acceptance of the compatibility
forms, it was never anticipated that there would be a use case for them
that couldn't be realized with standard characters.

I see where you might come to your interpretation of the text as
written, but the cases where you might reasonably need adjacent
characters to be able to get the requested effect would be more for
things like ligatures where it doesn't make sense to display a single
character "as it would appear in a ligature" because, unlike positional
forms, that concept is not well defined.

(I don't know to what degree in actual layout the positional forms
themselves are dependent on knowing the adjacent character, and whether
that makes it less straightforward to display a "nominal" positional
form, as in a generic "medial ain").

A./