Chicago/MLA ellipsis versus the Unicode defined AP ellipsis

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 17 15:56:56 CDT 2023

Given the facts as stated, the conclusion would be that this should be
proposed for a variation sequence.

Logically, that is the best alternative when there needs to a be
distinct appearance that is selectable by context, but where that
context runs orthogonal to font selection.

The other consideration is that the two forms of the ellipsis are both
otherwise identical in meaning. That is, if I cut and paste text from a
news story into another document, the meaning doesn't change. Going in
and adding/removing variation selectors would fine tune the appearance,
which is what is desired, not change the nature of the punctuation.

The only question would be whether to standardize two sequences or only
one. If two are defined, the original character (if not part of a
variation sequence) would have no preferred rendition.

In order for any action to be taken, this would need to be written up as
a proposal and submitted.

A./

PS: this is not so different from cases like upright vs. slanted
integral signs in math. For those and similar examples, the Standard
recognizes that the duplicating character codes would imply differences
in semantics and that the choice needs to be made without the need to
replace the entire font. Hence the solution of standardizing a variation
sequence.