Chicago/MLA ellipsis versus the Unicode defined AP ellipsis

t0dd t0dd at protonmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:50:37 CDT 2023

Hello all,

Narrative writers working in the English language, and in particular the
US (I can't speak for the rest of the English-language world), are
generally required to adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS) when
submitting manuscripts and screenplays for publication. News people
generally follow the AP (Associated Press) style. The rub: they each use
a different ellipsis. The CMoS requires three dots spaced apart. The AP,
because news copy is space-conscious, requires dots tightly packed.

Other style guides follow one or the other, but most follow the the
Chicago style or they are indifferent. For example, in school many of
you were required to follow the MLA style guide. That also requires a
spaced-out "Chicago" ellipsis (I am just going to call it that from here
on out). Conversely, if you wrote for the Psychology Review, you follow
the APA style which adheres to the "AP" ellipsis.

Unicode only supplies one horizontal ellipsis: U+2026. The AP ellipsis.
This ellipsis is constructed via three periods with no additional
spacing: U+002E U+002 EU+002E under the covers. (Spaces between the
codes here have been added for readability.)

That construction is not sufficient. Ironically, the most commonly
needed ellipsis is not the one defined by Unicode. The more common need
is for something constructed with three-periods separated by three
non-breaking-spaces. I.e., something like U+002E U+00A0 U+002E U+00A0
U+002E. Again, treated as a solitary character and unbreakable. And, of
course there are repercussions if it lives next to a sentence-ending
period, or if it is adjacent to a quotation mark. Etc.

What most writers do to get around this issue is find-and-replace all
ellipsis characters with three periods spaced out. But that doesn't word
wrap correctly. Slightly more savvy writers find-and-replace all
ellipsis characters with three periods separated by a non-breaking space
(see above). Or they change the character spacing style within their
word-processing application for their three-period "word". Or they just
use the AP ellipsis and hope no one cares.

It should be noted that grammar and spell checkers see these
user-generated constructions as errors.

This is ugly. There really needs to be a Unicode character that supports
the Chicago ellipsis.

None of the word processing packages builds any robust workaround for
this. LaTeX has an ellipsis package to work around this and the
associated complexities
(https://tug.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/ellipsis/ellipsis.pdf is
really worth the read), but that's not ideal. LaTeX is not software
designed for the Everyman.

I hear rumor that some typefaces come with stylistic alternatives to
address this, but that's not the case with any typeface that I have ever
had to use as required by a publisher (namely New Times Roman). Plus,
that's . . . kludgy.

So . . . please. Someone. Advocate for supporting a spaced-out ellipsis
so that all of us who have to adhere to a standard that is not the AP
Style don't have to do bizarre find-and-replacey things or other
workaronds. Newspapers are dead, haven't you heard? 😉

We all have access to an em-dashes and en-dashes and other dashes. A
Chicago-styled ellipsis (for lack of a better nomenclature) is way way
overdue IMHO

What think y'all? Note, I just joined the mailing list in order to voice
this. Be kind please. :)

Cheers. -t

P.S. NOTE: This topic has been touched upon a bit in the past, but not
quite exactly the same ask. (Reference:
https://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2006-m01/0164.html) That
thread devolved into lovely poetry. Worth the read. ;) I digress . . .

--
t0dd