Different Bidirectional Character Types

r12a ishida at w3.org
Tue Jul 12 01:27:59 CDT 2022

Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote on 12/07/2022 02:39:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:39:27 +0100
> r12a via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> Does this help clarify the original question?
>>
>> Modern Standard Arabic: Expressions & sequences
>> https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/arb.html#expressions
> It gives an inkling.  However, I don't understand, "The
> underlying order of characters, and the typing order remain the same."
> The text of Figures 4 and 5 has to differ by more than the language
> tagging.  Is this a corruption of an example which had (Near Eastern)
> Arabic numerals for Figure 4 and Eastern Arabic numerals for Figure 5?
>
> Supporting quotations would help, as this example looks weird.  Are
> Persian number ranges calqued from European languages?

To make it clearer that this is just about the order of the displayed
text, i changed the sentence you mentioned to "The underlying order of
the digits...".  The difference is actually produced in this case by the
addition of an LRM to the Persian, and not by the language setting. If
you click on the image you'll see the characters that make up each example.

ri