global password strategies

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Apr 14 17:18:27 CDT 2022

There might be something to this.  Some semi-standardized set of
keyboard layouts and input methods that can be immediately and
temporarily activated in nearly any state of the computer, by a
well-known keystroke or menu or whatever, so you need to know how to
type your password in *one* of them and how to select it, and then you
can just click it out on an emulated keyboard onscreen (or better, have
the keyboard actually remap itself.)

Kind of tricky to get the details right and decide on what and how and
all; the market and vendors will probably have to converge (slowly) on
some consensus.  No, Unicode can't dictate this as a standard, it's out
of scope for Unicode, and pretty much every other standards organization
too: there is no standard dictating user interface.  Just some popular
conventions that have become fairly universal.

~mark