global password strategies

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 9 03:28:51 CDT 2022

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:30:18 -0700
Tex via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> And as you say, telling the user (and the developers) whatever you
> do, make sure you always do exactly the same thing is probably the
> best we can do. For developers this means make sure you consistently
> don’t apply any functions between accepting the text and encrypting
> it.
>
> The downside is that some users will have problems when they use a
> different system or go through upgrades of their input methods.

One problem is indeed that some smart keyboards will alter text
themselves.  I had a keyboard that enabled one to enter much NFC Latin
text.  I switched keyboard interpreter (from corrected fcitx to
ibus) when 32-bit operating systems were discontinued, and now for the
same M17N keyboard definition it generates NFD at least some of the
time.