Copyright issues in relation to encoding of newly invented characters in Unicode (Re: Difference between Klingon and Tengwar)

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 16 15:11:09 CDT 2021

Firstly, I am not a lawyer nor am I legally qualified. Such knowledge as
I have of copyright is as a result of me being, a publisher (on a very
small scale, yet legally a publisher nonetheless), an author, an
inventor and, just at a hobbyist level, an artist.

Lorna Evans raises, by quoting from a document, the issue of copyright
issues in relation to encoding of newly invented characters in Unicode
and ISO/IEC 10646.

>> It has been suggested that the copyright on at least some of these
>> texts be voluntarily withdrawn, in order to allow for the encoding
>> proposal to go forward in the UTC and with ISO, on the grounds that
>> for implementation to proceed a script cannot be copyrighted.

Is it true that a copyrighted character, or symbol, with a glyph
example, cannot become encoded in Unicode even if a free to all
irrevocable licence of right is published as a matter of record?

In United Kingdom law many things get copyright automatically at the
instant of being recorded in a permanent form.

So what to do if a newly devised character is invented in the United
Kingdom and the glyph is designed in the United Kingdom and were to be
proposed for encoding in The Unicode Standard?

William