Unicode Teaching in Universities

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 8 11:34:57 CDT 2021

Many years ago, around 1990, I devised a scenario to encourage people to
learn how to enter words with accented characters in them even if they
did not know the language. I called it The Café Äpfel and the idea was
that text from ingredients lists from multilingual food packaging could
be keyed. I had bought a packaged food item in a supermarket and the
ingredients list was presented in a number of languages. The Café Äpfel
would have menus in English, French, German and the language of the
musicians and singers who were performing in the café that evening. I
had this idea of a television show series with each episode combining
cookery, computing and music with actors playing the continuing
characters and guest musicians and singers arriving as guest stars.

Well, a Portuguese band and singer would be fairly straightforward.

Once the musicians come from further afield the computing gets rather
more complicated!

I had the idea of story lines so that one of the staff has to produce
the menu cards using a computer and part of each episode has scenes as
the staff produce the menus.

Though now that Unicode is widely used, this scenario could be a useful
way for students to get practical experience of using Unicode in a
variety of languages.

William Overington

Wednesday 8 September 2021