Unicode Teaching in Universities

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 2 13:01:34 CDT 2021

There are at least two possible classes of downsides to Unicode, one
class being the way that The Unicode Standard itself works, and another
class being the politics of the way that "The Unicode Consortium",
whatever that term means, operates.

For example, some time ago I put forward a proposal to use Variation
Selector 14 to signal a request for a character to be displayed in
italics. The proposal was turned down.

Having a character to turn on italics and a character to turn off
italics is forbidden because that would make the system stateful.
Alright, fine. Yet a proposal to allow characters to be made italic one
at a time, so not stateful, is turned down because italics spans a
number of characters in a word, a sentence or a paragraph. Yet making
characters italic one at a time is how it has worked with metal type for
over five hundred years.

Always the policy of "use a higher level protocol". All about layers
decided decades ago. Decades before many aspects of modern information
technology were invented.

I accept that having a character to turn on italics and a character to
turn off italics as I suggested years ago would make Unicode stateful, I
have learned.

Yet I put forward a suggestion that resolved that objection and yet
suggestion that was stopped, in my opinion unnecessarily because as far
as I know the idea could be useful and would be harmless and could be
ignored by anyone who did not want to use it.

In this and in other ways, "The Unicode Consortium" is restricting
progress.

William Overington

Thursday 2 September 2021