Unicode Teaching in Universities

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl lyratelle at gmx.de
Thu Sep 2 15:22:34 CDT 2021

Am 02.09.21 um 19:30 schrieb Doug Ewell via Unicode:
> It would be interesting to hear specifically what the "downside" is.

> Does the fact that Unicode was originally developed more than 30 years > ago (I guess that's the "early era") bother people?
I would say no.

> A universal character set, free from the context-sensitive character set
> switching used in the JIS X standards, should be an ideal solution for
> the Internet.
Yes.

> Are users in Japan still concerned about Japanese characters requiring
> 3 bytes in UTF-8 as opposed to 2 bytes in the JIS X standards?
Maybe.

> Does UTF-8's immunity from cross-site scripting attacks not outweigh
> this for Web purposes?
I would say yes.

Compared to what was there before, Unicode is a huge improvement, I
would say. But that doesn't mean it has no flaws. After all the other
charsets died out, there would be a lot of thing that could be improved
if no legacy support or compatibility would be neccessary anymore.

Unfortunately (for whatever strange reasons) the old charset have NOT
died out so far. It would be good to enforce that a little more!

--
                                          Dominikus Dittes Scherkl