Encoding ConScripts

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 9 06:45:09 CDT 2021

James Kass wrote:

> Anyone designing new glyphs for personal pronouns is not creating
> “emoji”, but rather is inventing a ConScript.

Well, my idea for trying to produce designs for emoji for personal
pronouns is as a result of a comment made by a gentleman in the
discussion after the lecture in the following video videographed at the
Unicode and Internationalization Conference in 2015.

Unicode Emoji: How do we standardize that je ne sais 💁? at IUC39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldSVbXbjl4

Starting at 38 minutes 40 seconds into the video.

> Most of us know that there’s a registry for ConScripts using the PUA.

That is one initiative. Also, anyone can use the Private Use Area on his
or her own independent initiative.

  > So it would be necessary to assign PUA code points, ...

Not necessarily. I decided to use an encoding system of my own design
that I have named the Mariposa system.

In my opinion, the Mariposa system is far more effective for this
purpose than would be a Private Use Area encoding as the codes can be
entered straightforwardly on a wide variety of devices and the Mariposa
system avoids many of the problems of the wrong glyph being displayed
that can occur when using a Private Use Area encoding more widely than
in a carefully arranged sandbox-style situation, wherein a Private Use
Area encoding can indeed be very effective.

> ... generate a font, make the font generally available, publicize it,
> and hope it catches on.

The font has been produced and is available and has been publicised.

https://corp.unicode.org/pipermail/unicode/2021-January/009300.html

> That seems to be the only clear path to Unicoding novel characters.

Well, the Mariposa system is a path that does not use the Private Use
Area.

  > If the PUA material usage reaches some kind of critical mass,
someone would draft a proposal to Unicode.

As they are emoji, is that needed?

William Overington

Saturday 9 October 2021