Encoding ConScripts

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Sat Oct 9 20:56:21 CDT 2021

On 10/9/21 01:03, Anshuman Pandey via Unicode wrote:
> Oh, how timely!
>
> At IUC 45 next Thursday, Deborah Anderson and I will be presenting on “Negotiating Neographies: Approaches for Encoding Newly-Invented Scripts”.

With similar timeliness, I followed Rebecca's link about QID emoji to
her excellent pages on her fonts, which are positively dripping with
ConScripts from the (U)CSUR registry of which she has taken
stewardship.  (Particularly amazed at the Seussian Extensions, which
I've never been able to work out to "fit" even remotely with a normal
font.  And some of those unofficial punctuation marks deserve some
serious consideration; I bet the andorpersand could get popular enough
to deserve encoding someday.)

> I’ll be discussing some metrics that may be used for evaluating neographies (nod to Ken W for that term), conscripts, or whatever you’d like to call them.
>
> Such metrics, as James pointed out, are necessary, especially considering the influx of proposals to encode newly-invented scripts, particularly those of Africa and South Asia.
Yes, some sort of way to quantify need to encode.  The bar for the CSUR
is quite low; I think a lot of those scripts have never been used by
anyone but their inventors (which is fine for PUA assignments as in the
CSUR).  I find the distinction growing in my mind between neato
inventions someone invented and wants to share with the world and
scripts that have some historical or literary weight and at least _some_
community of usage (which generally has to pass the rather subjective
criterion of being big enough that I've heard of it.)
> Sorry Mark, we won’t be covering Klingon…

Yeah, I was at the UTC when the report from the Script Ad-Hoc was
presented, and probably to everyone's great relief I decided not to
comment on the response to Klingon there.  I figured I'd said pretty
much everything I was going to say and wouldn't really be adding
anything by bringing it up again.

At this point, I have to assume that Klingon easily satisfies the
"usage" requirement that was given as the ostensible reason for refusal
back at the beginning.  I complained long about the chicken-and-egg
problem we were faced with, but as I showed a few years ago, it is hard
to dispute that we've overcome it and the script has seen a non-trivial
amount of use.  (At least, I hope it's hard to dispute that!)  It seems
there won't be any official movement, not even a smidgen, until we can
resolve the potential IP issues.  I can only hope that when and if
that's cleared up, there won't still remain the wholly undignified
"dignity" argument.

(If anyone disagrees and is willing to discuss fitness for encoding
apart from IP problems, I'd be happy to engage, but my understanding is
that nobody wants to re-examine _any_ criteria until they can look at
_all_ the criteria, including the big one.)

But yeah.  The bottom line is, Unicode *DOES NOT* encode things on the
grounds that "this would be great if people used it," only on the
grounds that people DO use it.  The exception is emoji, and they have
their own rules.

~mark