QID emoji (from Re: The encoding of flags)

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 7 04:48:13 CDT 2021

James Kass wrote:

> QID Emoji fonts are possible with existing technology ...

Yes.

> ... and don't require any action/approval by Unicode.

Well, is that correct? The most recent thing I saw was that it went to a
recent Unicode Technical Committee meeting and that there was a long
discussion. I do not know what was said or what conclusions, if any,
were reached.

> A lack of QID Emoji fonts suggests that there is little demand for
> them.

Well, if the format is approved and time has passed since that approval,
then that could possibly be true, but has the format been approved?

I produced an experimental font based on the original proposal to try
the concept - only one glyph and that was just a test glyph displayed,
not a realistic glyph. Yet it worked well and was a useful personal
learning experience.

So what is the present situation regarding QID emoji please?

William Overington

Thursday 7 October 2021