No more RGI flag sequences

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sun Feb 7 13:58:23 CST 2021

Part of the reason for providing a general mechanism that would make
all subdivision flags be valid was to provide an interchangeable way for
some platforms to supply additional subdivision flags. Then evidence of
popularity on those platforms could provide a strong signal for making a
particular subdivision flag be RGI. As it turned out,
(a) the frequency of usage of subdivision flags turned out to be quite low.
(The category of flags in general is already not stellar:
https://home.unicode.org/emoji/emoji-frequency/)
(b) adding more subdivision flags turned out to be a long, slippery slope,
and full of geopolitical landmines.

Mark