No more RGI flag sequences

Joan Montané joan at montane.cat
Sun Feb 7 13:10:26 CST 2021

Missatge de Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> del dia dg.,
7 de febr. 2021 a les 19:34:

> Mark Davis wrote:
>
> > The reasoning behind that has been at
> > https://www.unicode.org/emoji/proposals.html#Flags (F2) for some time.
>
> Since I'm unlikely ever to submit a true emoji proposal (i.e. for a facial expression or animal or hand gesture), I probably wouldn't have thought to look at the "Submitting Emoji Proposals" page.
>
> That said, this passage in that section:
>
> > Adding further subdivision flags as RGI can also appear to play
> > favorites unless similar subdivisions also get flags, which could mean
> > “all other flags of that country” or “all subdivisions of greater or
> > equal population in other countries”
>
> doesn't seem to align with the decision to exclude Northern Ireland.
>
> > The feasibility issues behind that reasoning would have to change
> > substantially before FR could be revised.
> >
> > Note however that all the subdivision flags remain valid; just not
> > recommended for general interchange.
>
> That basically means no vendor will support flag images for these places, and they will not be interchangeable in any medium that uses Unicode.

So, Unicode creates a universal encoding mechanism to represent flags
from subdivision ISO territories years ago, and Unicode throws the key
to the bottom of the sea now.

I can understand that it is hard to put a line for which subdivision
territories merit RGI. But closing RGI to UK is really
English-focused.

Just my 2 ct.

Joan Montané