Please fix the trademark policy in regards to code

Ellie kittens at wobble.ninja
Tue Oct 20 03:30:11 CDT 2020

 > I believe rather than attaching a symbol to every instance of a
 > trademark, a single comment at the beginning of the file would
 > suffice, e.g. "Within this file, the word 'Unicode', and its variants,
 > refers to the Unicode(R) Standard. Unicode(R) is a registered
 > trademark of the Unicode Consortium". Or some similar legal
 > boilerplate.

But that might become a very long text in some files if all of those
were always listed (windows, linux, macos, apple - from ifdefs -,
unicode, ...).

And for what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen a source code file
mentioning Linux that has a trademark note at the top. (Including those
produced by people working at the Linux Foundation for the Linux
kernel.) So even that suggestion doesn't seem to be what is commonly
done in practice.

Which in my opinion only would make a remark at the very least about
fair use helpful, like the Linux guidelines put it. Even if legally
apparently not required to be clarified, many open source hobby devs
probably can't pay lawyers to verify that. So it still makes a
difference IMHO to ease the mind with noting this in the text, as
obvious as it might be.

Regards

Ellie