Please fix the trademark policy in regards to code

Sławomir Osipiuk sosipiuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:31:28 CDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM Ellie via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> I would find such a remark helpful, although the last sentence kind of
> makes it again sound like they expect me to put (R) into the source code
>  which I find a bit unfortunate. Some qualifier like "you should, +where
> that is practical to do, acknowledge ..." might help alleviate this,
> however.

I believe rather than attaching a symbol to every instance of a
trademark, a single comment at the beginning of the file would
suffice, e.g. "Within this file, the word 'Unicode', and its variants,
refers to the Unicode(R) Standard. Unicode(R) is a registered
trademark of the Unicode Consortium". Or some similar legal
boilerplate.

That said, I think a note regarding source code and filenames can be
added to the "Special Situations" section of the page you originally
linked and would be helpful.

Sławomir Osipiuk