Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 22 18:14:59 CST 2020

Hello everybody,

Just for what it's worth, here are a few details on how at least some
email clients handle ASCII email styling conventions (/ for italics, _
for underscore, and * for boldface).

On 22/12/2020 04:42, Ken Whistler via Unicode wrote:

> On 12/21/2020 11:05 AM, abrahamgross--- via Unicode wrote:
>> The only reason why things like_italics_  or*italics*  are around is
>> because of the lack of real italics. I would go as far as to say that
>> the very existence of*italics*  in plain text shows that theres a real
>> need for italics when writing plain text.
>> This is a workaround around a real problem of the lack of italics if
>> I've ever seen one…

The two places above are displayed without styling in plaintext,
probably because they are quoted. They show up styled in HTML because
that contains additional tags (<b>,...).

> Actually, simple markup conventions like that mostly date from early
> days of email, when plain text (and usually just ASCII at that) were all
> you got. (By the way, the most usual interpretation of those is
> _underscore_, /italic/, and *bold*, but whatever.)

These show up styled in plaintext display, but not in HTML, presumably
because Ken entered the styling characters by hand (in the HTML version,
there is no markup).

> Nowadays, presto chango, most email clients support rich text (in HTML,
> usually), and you get to _underscore_, /italicize/, and *bold* your text
> correctly whenever you want to, and even change the font size to SHOUT,
> if you want.

These show up styled in HTML, most probably because Ken used the text
editor to style them that way. The plaintext version contains ASCII
email styling characters (but the HTML version doesn't), and my guess is
that they were added when the mailer produced the plaintext version.

Your mailer and your mileage may vary.

Regards,   Martin.