Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 22 04:50:25 CST 2020

Hi
Ken Whistler wrote as follows.
> Actually, simple markup conventions like that mostly date from early
> days of email, when plain text (and usually just ASCII at that) were
> all you got.
Back in the early 1990s when only ASCII was available, the circumflex
accented characters needed for Esperanto were often expressed by using a
lowercase letter x after the ASCII base of the character.
Namely as follows,
Cx cx Gx gx Hx hx Jx jx Sx sx
I do not remember whether the U breve and the u breve were expressed as
Ux or ux at all.
This seemed to me at first to be quite strange, but I got used to
reading it.
The method was suitable for unambiguous use because the Esperanto
language does not use the letter x in its alphabet.
Best regards,
William Overington
Tuesday 22 December 2020