Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

abrahamgross at disroot.org abrahamgross at disroot.org
Mon Dec 21 13:05:55 CST 2020

Its also possible to come up with a system to use double letters or lets say exclamation point+letter instead of any uppercase letters. I can write !belgium or bbelgium instead of Belgium and get ppl to agree to do it and then I wouldn't neet italics.
The only reason why things like _italics_ or *italics* are around is because of the lack of real italics. I would go as far as to say that the very existence of *italics* in plain text shows that theres a real need for italics when writing plain text.
This is a workaround around a real problem of the lack of italics if I've ever seen one…