Italics get used to express important semantic meaning, so unicode should support them

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 12 09:39:28 CST 2020

Hi

You might find the following links of interest. The proposal was not
successful and was dismissed strongly, indeed using italics for
emphasis.

For the avoidance of doubt I did not advocate regarding the encoding of
the mathematical italic characters as a precedent for what I proposed.

It is somewhat ironic that the refusal uses italics for emphasis and
could, in my opinion, be reasonably regarded as supporting evidence for
the case of what you are wanting encoding, as that emphasis cannot at
present be expressed in plain text. If it is not a semantic difference
then it seems to me that there is no reason whatsoever to use italics at
all in that refusal notice. So has Unicode Inc. in fact shown in its
refusal the very need that it is refusing to encode?

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2019/19063-italic-vs.pdf

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2019/19195-italic-cmt.pdf

https://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7831

https://www.unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html

However, such dismissals are not absolute because sometimes there is a
U-turn later, for example with the encoding of emoji. Look at where
emoji encoding is now, no longer about just backwards compatibility yet
pushing forward with new designs. For the avoidance of doubt I am
pleased that emoji are being encoded. I wish that they would not insist
that my proposals for encoding a futuristic idea of mine are out of
scope and refuse to allow them to be discussed in this mailing list or
put to The Unicode Technical Committee.

I note that you mention a QID item.

There is an ongoing public review about encoding what are being called
QID emoji.

https://www.unicode.org/review/pri408/

Although the page currently shows a closing date that has passed, the
public review has, in fact, been reopened as listed on the following
page.

https://www.unicode.org/review/

Best regards,

William Overington

Saturday 12 December 2020

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/

My website is safe to use, it is not hosted on my own computer, but is
hosted on a server run by Plusnet PLC, a United Kingdom company.