Alternative encodings for Malayalam “nta”

梁海 Liang Hai via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 6 13:57:36 CDT 2019

Folks,

(Microsoft Peter and Andrew, search for “Windows” in the document.)

(Asmus, in the document there’s a section 5, ICANN RZ-LGR situation—let me know if there’s some news.)

This is a pretty straightforward document about the notoriously problematic encoding of Malayalam <chillu n, bottom-side sign of rra>. I always wanted to properly document this, so finally here it is:

L2/19-345 <http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetMatchingDocs.pl?L2/19-345>
Alternative encodings for Malayalam "nta"
Liang Hai
2019-10-06

Unfortunately, as <NA, VIRAMA, RRA> has already become the de facto standard encoding, now we have to recognize it in the Core Spec. It’s a bit like another Tamil srī situation.

An excerpt of the proposal:

Document the following widely used encoding in the Core Specification as an alternative representation for Malayalam [glyph] (<chillu n, bottom-side sign of rra>) that is a special case and does not suggest any productive rule in the encoding model:

<U+0D28 ന MALAYALAM LETTER NA, U+0D4D ◌് MALAYALAM SIGN VIRAMA, U+0D31 റ MALAYALAM LETTER RRA>

Best,
梁海 Liang Hai
https://lianghai.github.io