Re: Acute/apostrophe diacritic in Võro for palatalized consonants

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Aug 19 21:27:13 CDT 2019

I must add that the current version of Wikipedia in Võro, seems to have
completely renounced to encode this combining mark (no acute, no
apostrophe), probably because of lack of proper encoding in Unicode and
difficulty to harmonize its orthography.

It may be a good argument for the addition of the missing combining palatal
accent and to restore the correct expected typography.

I'm curious also about other existing styles (notably with blackletters aka
"Gothic", or ISO 15924 "Latf" in historic texts: was that diacritic ever
handwritten, or typesetted in printed books, and how?)

Le mar. 20 août 2019 à 04:17, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> a écrit :

> I'm curious about this statement in English Wikipedia about Võro:
>
>> Palatalization of consonants is marked with an acute accent (´) or
apostrophe ('). In proper typography and in handwriting, the palatalisation
mark does not extend above the cap height (except uppercase letters Ń, Ŕ,
Ś, V́ etc.), and it is written above the letter if the letter has no
ascender (ǵ, ḿ, ń, ṕ, ŕ, ś, v́ etc.) but written to the right of it
otherwise (b’, d’, f’, h’, k’, l’, t’). In computing, it is not usually
possible to enter these character combinations or to make them look
esthetically pleasing with most common fonts, so the apostrophe is
generally placed after the letter in all cases. This convention is followed
in this article as well.

> The problem is the encoding of this acute/apostrophe which changes
depending on lettercase or even depending on letterform for specific styles
(i.e. when there are ascenders or not for lowercase letters).