UCD in XML or in CSV? (is: UCD in YAML)

J Decker via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Sep 7 13:04:05 CDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 10:58 AM Philippe Verdy via Unicode <
unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Le jeu. 6 sept. 2018 à 19:11, Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
> a écrit :
>
>> Marcel Schneider wrote:
>>
>> > BTW what I conjectured about the role of line breaks is true for CSV
>> > too, and any file downloaded from UCD on a semicolon separator basis
>> > becomes unusable when displayed straight in the built-in text editor
>> > of Windows, given Unicode uses Unix EOL.
>>
>> It's been well known for decades that Windows Notepad doesn't display
>> LF-terminated text files correctly. The solution is to use almost any
>> other editor. Notepad++ is free and a great alternative, but there are
>> plenty of others (no editor wars, please).
>>

> This has changed recently in Windows 10, where the builtin Notepad app now
> parses text files using LF only correctly (you can edit and save using the
> same convention for newlines, which is now autodetected; Notepad still
> creates new files using CRLF and saves them after edit using CRLF).
>
> I would love to have a notepad that handled \n.
My system is up to date.
What update must I get to have notepad handle newline only files?
(and I dare say notepad is the ONLY program that doesn't handle either
convention, command line `edit` and `wordpad`(write) even handled them)
 I'm sure there exists other programs that do it wrong; but none I've ever
used or found, or written.

Notepad now displays the newline convention in the status bar as "Windows