A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 28 12:54:34 CDT 2018

Le dim. 28 oct. 2018 à 18:28, Janusz S. Bień <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> a écrit :

> On Sun, Oct 28 2018 at 15:19 +0100, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
> > Given the "squiggle" below letters are actually gien distinctive
> > semantics, I think it should be encoded a combining character (to be
> > written not after a "superscript" but after any normal base letter,
> > possibly with other combining characters, or CGJ if needed because of
> > the compatibility equivalence.  That "squiggle" (which may look like
> > an underscore) would haver the effect of implicity making the base
> > letter superscript (smaller and elevated). It would have probably a
> > "combining below" class.
>
> Seems to me an elegant solution.
>
> [...]
>
> On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 19:52 GMT, James Kass via Unicode wrote:
> > Mr͇ / M=ͬ
>
> For me only the latter seems acceptable. Using COMBINING LATIN SMALL
> LETTER R is a natural idea, but I feel uneasy using just EQUALS SIGN as
> the base character. However in the lack of a better solution I can live
> with it :-)

There's a third alternative, that uses the superscript letter r, followed
by the combining double underline, instead of the normal letter r followed
by the same combining double underline.
However it is still not very elegant if we stil need to use only the
limited set of superscript letters (this still reduces the number of
abbreviations, such as those commonly used in French that needs a
superscript "é")