A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 28 13:18:29 CDT 2018

Also if the "combining abbreviation mark" is used only at end of a
combining sequence to transform it, we can avoid all needs of CGJ for that
mark, if the mark is itself assigned the combining class 0.
So
- abbreviating "Mister" as "M<r>" (without the underscore below "r") becomes
  <M><r,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "Monseigneur" as "M<gs>" (without the underscore below "g"
and "r") becomes
  <M><g,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK><s,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "Ditto" as "D<to>" (without the underscore below "to")
becomes
  <D><t,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK><o,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "Operation" as "Op<tn> (without the underscore below "to")
becomes
  <O><p><t,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK><n,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "constitutionalité" as "C<té> (without the underscore below
"té") becomes
  <C><t,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK><é,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK> or
  <C><t,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK><e,COMBINING ACUTE><COMBINING
ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "Numéro" as "N<o>" (without the underscore below "o") becomes
  <N><o,COMBINING UNDERLINE,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>
- abbreviating "Magister" as "M<r>" (with the double underscore below "r")
becomes
  <M><r,COMBINING DOUBLE UNDERLINE,COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK>

It is quite easy for text renderers to infer the selection of a small
superscript for the base (and its other combining characters or extenders
when they support these combinations), before applying the new combiner
mark. If not, they can still render the leading base (and its other
supported combining characters or extenders), followed by some dotted mark
(e.g. a small dotted circle).
Renderers that do not recognize the new combining abbreviation mark will
just render it at end of the sequence as a usual square or rectangular
"tofu"; those that recognize it as a combining character but no support for
it, will render the usual dotted square (meaning "unsupported combining
mark", to distinguish from the meaning as if there was a "missing base
character" to apply before a known combining mark or extender)