A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 28 12:28:24 CDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 28 2018 at 15:19 +0100, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
> Given the "squiggle" below letters are actually gien distinctive
> semantics, I think it should be encoded a combining character (to be
> written not after a "superscript" but after any normal base letter,
> possibly with other combining characters, or CGJ if needed because of
> the compatibility equivalence.  That "squiggle" (which may look like
> an underscore) would haver the effect of implicity making the base
> letter superscript (smaller and elevated). It would have probably a
> "combining below" class.

Seems to me an elegant solution.

[...]

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 19:52 GMT, James Kass via Unicode wrote:
> Mr͇ / M=ͬ

For me only the latter seems acceptable. Using COMBINING LATIN SMALL
LETTER R is a natural idea, but I feel uneasy using just EQUALS SIGN as
the base character. However in the lack of a better solution I can live
with it :-)

An alternative would be to use SMALL EQUALS SIGN, but looks like fonts
supporting it are rather rare.

> Le dim. 28 oct. 2018 à 10:41, arno.schmitt via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> a écrit :

[...]

>  Looks to me like U+2116 № NUMERO SIGN
>  which perhaps should not have encoded,
>  since we have both U+004E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N and
>  U+00BA º MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR

I'm rather sure it is inherited from a character set used for the
round-trip test.

Best regards

Janusz

--