A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Oct 27 08:09:35 CDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 14:36 +0200, rein wrote:
> Janusz,
>
> reminds me of the "numero sign " №

Yes, that's definitely similar.

> I tried to read the letter but couldn't manage to all the way ;)

Congratulation, you have done it better than me!

> Droga i Kochana Wiriańko

Rather "Wisieńko": "Ludwika" -> "Ludwisieńka" ->"Wisieńka"

> załaczam Ci z tą fotografiją list Staszki - odpisałem już jej też.  co
> u Was więcej słychać żadnych jeszcze ni mam odpowiedzi

I didn't recognized "odpowiedzi".

>ze znanych Ci miejscowoci ?adresować?

"Adresować" makes sense, although some letters seem missing.

> do Staszki jak tyś chciała pisać
>(W.Pan Mr Michał Gałkiewicz Feldspital 411 Feldpost 380.) Mr znaczy
>Magister. On przy tem szpitalu aptekarzem.  całuję Cię ze wargatkiem

I read this "wszystkiemi".

>Mami

I can't guess a word which would make sense of this phrase...

> rączki Twój Kochający Włodek 12/9 917
>
> pozdrawiam, Rein

Nawzajem :-)

> Sat, 27 Oct 2018 13:10:20 +0200 schreef Janusz S. Bień via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>:

[...]

>> The second question is: are you familiar with such or a similar symbol?
>> Have you ever seen it in print?

The postcard is from the front of the first WW written by an
Austro-Hungarian soldier. He explaines the meaning of the abbreviation
to his wife, so looks like the abbreviation was used but not very
popular.

>> The third and the last question is: how to encode this symbol in
>> Unicode?

I've got a comment to this question off the list, but I'm waiting to see
more opinions.

Best regards

Janusz

P.S. I subscribe the list in the digest form but I look up the archive -
I think Asmus Freytag interpretation is the correct one (similar
interpretation was suggested also of the list).

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien