Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 9 11:29:07 CST 2018

Dear Richard,

On 09.03.2018 07:06, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:42:38 +0800
> via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> to the best of my knowledge virtually no new characters used just
>> for
>> names are under consideration, all the ones that are under
>> consideration are from before this century.
>
> What I was interested in was the rate of generation of new
> CJK characters in general, not just those for names.  I appreciate
> that
> encoding is dominated by the backlog of older characters.

Impossible to give an accurate answer or even a reasonable guess.

As to those that would be condidates for Unicode, my guess would be not
more than a few dozen a year. New  characters are not permitted in legal
names. Fanasty Chinese characters used for a alien language or a mystery
novel would not usually be suitable for encoding. Most new words in
Chinese have more than one syllable and do not require any new
characters. Documented increase such as scientific terms for new
elements, flora and fauna, would seem to be not more one or two dozen a
year.

Regards
John Knightley