Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 9 12:46:23 CST 2018

On 3/9/2018 9:29 AM, via Unicode wrote:
> Documented increase such as scientific terms for new elements, flora
> and fauna, would seem to be not more one or two dozen a year.

Indeed. Of the "urgently needed characters" added to the unified CJK
ideographs for Unicode 11.0, two were obscure place name characters
needed to complete mapping for the Japanese IT mandatory use of the Moji
Joho collection.

The other three were newly standardized Chinese characters for
superheavy elements that now have official designations by the IUPAC (as
of December 2015): Nihonium (113), Tennessine (117) and Oganesson (118).
The Chinese characters coined for those 3 were encoded at U+9FED,
U+9FEC, and U+9FEB, respectively.

Oganesson, in particular, is of interest, as the heaviest known element
produced to date. It is the subject of 1000's of hours of intense
experimentation and of hundreds of scientific papers, but:

    ... since 2005, only five (possibly six) atoms of the nuclide ^294
    Og have been detected.

But we already have a Chinese character (pronounced ào) for Og, and a
standardized Unicode code point for it: U+9FEB.

Next up: unobtanium and hardtofindium

--Ken