Translating the standard (was: Re: Fonts and font sizes used in the Unicode)

Elsebeth Flarup via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Mar 8 03:25:53 CST 2018

For a number of reasons I think translating the standard is a really bad idea.

As long as there are people interested in maintaining the translation, identifying deltas and easily translating just the deltas would NOT be difficult, however. Modern computer aided translation tools all use translation memories that automatically translate already translated segments and present only new/changed segments to the translator. No need for change bars etc.

This assumes that somebody would have stewardship of the translation memory, that the people doing the translation would be willing to/capable of using the CAT tools, etc., but the technical translation technology is available to make this part of the equation not much of an issue.

There are other reasons to not do this.

Elsebeth

​​