Translating the standard (was: Re: Fonts and font sizes used in the Unicode)

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Mar 8 08:19:24 CST 2018

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:03:28 +0000, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

> > Yes the biggest issue over time, as Ken wrote, is to *maintain* a
> > translation, be it only the Nameslist.
>
> For which accurately determined change bars can work wonders. An
> alternative would be paragraph identification and a list of changed
> paragraphs. The section number in TUS is too coarse for giving text
> locations, and page numbers are inherently changeable.

Adobe Illustrator doesnʼt seem to support purple numbers, and Adobe Reader
seems unable to accept input of bookmarks as a go‐to feature (while that must
be proper to Acrobat). Word is reported not to add lasting change bars in an
automated way. But all that can be done in HTML — which is not the format
of The Unicode Standard, whose web bookmarks are fortunately published in
separate collections. When UAXes are updated, an intermediate revision has
all changes highlighted and remains available online. We can see delta charts
with all changes highlighted, in PDF. Why did the Core Specification not come
into the benefit of these facilities?

Has this already been submitted as formal feedback?
(UTC is known for not considering feedback that has not been submitted via
the Contact form or docsubmit at unicode.org, and Mailing lists have explicit
caveats.)

Best regards,

Marcel