Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jan 30 13:09:31 CST 2018

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:20:46 +0000, Alastair Houghton wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2018, at 05:31, Marcel Schneider via Unicode  wrote:
> >
> > OnMon, 29 Jan 2018 11:13:21 -0700, Tom Gewecke wrote:

[…]

> >> They are also all on the MacOS "US International PC", provided since 2009 by Apple
> >> for Windows users who like US International.
> >
> > I suppose that this layout ships with the Windows emulation that can be run on a Mac.
>
> No. It’s included as standard with the macOS itself. Go to System Preferences, choose “Keyboard”, then “Input Sources”.
> Click the “+” button at the bottom left, then enter “PC” in the search field and you’ll see there are a range of “PC” layouts.

Indeed. Itʼs sort of a mix made of Appleʼs common US and Windowsʼ US-International.
So it has the five Windows-style dead keys in Base and Shift, AND the five Mac-style
dead keys (for the same diacritics) in Option.

> >> œ Œ are on alt and alt-shift q
> >>
> >> ‹› are on alt-shift 3/4
>
> More of a nitpick than anything, but Apple keyboards have *Option*, not “alt”. Yes, some (but not all) keyboards’ Option keys have an “alt”
> annotation at the top, but that was added AFAIK for the benefit of people running PC emulation (or these days, Windows under e.g. VMWare
> Fusion). The “alt” annotation isn’t on the latest keyboards (go look in an Apple Store if you don’t believe me :-)).

Then, “alt” is obsoleted on Mac, and calling them “Option” is correct? Iʼm relieved if so, as I
used “Option” when referring to macOS, or better, “AltGr/Option” to be cross-platform…
“Option” is shorter, but “AltGr” is already printed on most keyboards, though it isnʼt a short
form of an easily localizable term, while “Option” is multi-locale (English, French, German, …).

> > Then this is ported from the Apple US layout, where these characters are in the same
> > places. However that does not include correct spacing, as required for French.
>
> Not sure what you mean about spacing. That, surely, is a matter mainly for the software you’re using, rather than for a keyboard layout?

It may be handled by an input editing functionality as embedded in Word, like many things
can be done by input editing, even “œ” (for which Word has also a shortcut: Ctrl+&, o)
because Microsoft and Bill Gates in person were eager to support the French locale and
did a lot to help French efforts in keyboarding. But properly, correct spacing must be
handled on keyboard level, otherwise weʼll always end up with a mass of wrong data
amidst which a subset of correct documents having U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE
before ‘?’ and ‘!’ and ‘;’, and even ‘»’ and after ‘«’, and currently also before ‘:’ as