Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jan 30 11:55:46 CST 2018

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:54:19 -0700, Tom Gewecke wrote:

> > On Jan 30, 2018, at 3:20 AM, Alastair Houghton  wrote:
> >
> > The “alt” annotation isn’t on the latest keyboards (go look in an Apple Store if you don’t believe me :-)).
>
> Interesting! Apple’s documentation shows these keys mostly with “alt” and “⌥”.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

While the “⌥” symbol is persistent across locales, the “alt” label is somewhere
replaced with “option” and I believed that this the macOS name, whereas “alt”
is merely wrt BootCamp users. However that is confusing as Windows “Alt” has
not the “option” functionality but rather the quick access like its internal name of
“MENU” (‷LMENU‴, ‷RMENU‴), while “option” equals “AltGr” since there are
alternate graphics, too. But now since we need a “Numbers” modifier, none of
both schemes seems appropriate: Left Option should be Numbers, and Alt should
become Numbers, too, while itself could be mapped to Left Windows or so. See:

https://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/10851#comment:2

Regards,

Marcel