Keyboard layouts and CLDR (was: Re: 0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?)

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 29 05:26:01 CST 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 21:56:25 -0800, Mark Davis replied to Doug Ewell:

> It is not a goal to get "vendors to retire these keyboard layouts and
> replace them" — that's not our role. (And I'm sure that a lot of people
> like and would continue to use the Windows Intl keyboard.)

Instead of “replace” I should have written /provide an alternative to/.
Discontinuing a major layout variant would be bad practice.

Prior to this thread, I believed that the ratio of Windows users
liking the US-International vs Mac users liking the US-Extended was
like other “Windows implementation” vs “Apple implementation” ratios.

So far we can tell that failing to be updated, the Windows US-Intl
does not allow to write French in a usable manner, as the Œœ is still
missing, and does not allow to type German correctly neither due to
the lack of single angle quotation marks (used in some French locales,
too, and perhaps likely to become even more widespread). Of course
these are all on the macOS US-Extended.

If so many people like it, why was Windows Intl not updated, then?
(Or has it been for Windows 10, and just not on
https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/globalization/keyboards/kbdusx.html
while the Keyboard layouts index page has come into the benefit of
a slight enhancement of user experience:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/windows-keyboard-layouts
)

> It's more about making it easier to have more choice available for users:
> more languages, and more choice of layouts within a language that meet
> people's needs.

Covering more — and ideally ALL — languages is top priority.
Marc Durdin of SIL Keyman teaming up with the CLDR enhancement
project is very good news.

Regards,

Marcel (If you wonder why Mark Davis blacklisted me: That happened
at the 2015 “Apostrophe” thread when I was new to this and any other
Mailing List.)