Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 29 06:38:48 CST 2018

BTW the 5 dead keys of Windows US Intl are already on
Appleʼs *normal* US layout, along with the letter o-with-e.
US Extended adds 20 more deadkeys.

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:20:16 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:
[…]
> Nothing in the PRI #367 blog post or background document communicated to
> me that CLDR was going to try to influence vendors to retire these
> keyboard layouts and replace them with those. […]

The “replacement” would be on user side, not on vendors side. I was never
thinking that Microsoft could put another layout *in the place of US Intl*
instead of letting users choose.

To like a particular layout does not mean to want to stick with it
when anything better comes up. Userʼs choice is always respected.
But users must also respect other peopleʼs orthographies, as seen
in the wake of the preceding Kazakh apostrophes thread. Hence we
are expected to upgrade our tooling if it proves inappropriate.

(Nevertheless the time Iʼm using an Apple instead of my
Windows-7-driven netbook is less than 0.1 %.)

Regards,

Marcel