Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jan 28 20:17:34 CST 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:20:16 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Mark Davis wrote:
>
> > One addition: with the expansion of keyboards in
> > http://blog.unicode.org/2018/01/unicode-ldml-keyboard-enhancements.html
> > we are looking to expand the repository to not merely represent those,
> > but to also serve as a resource that vendors can draw on.
>
> Would you say, then, that Marcel's statements:
>
> "Now that CLDR is sorting out how to improve keyboard layouts, hopefully
> something falls off to replace the *legacy* US-Intl."
>
> and:
>
> "We can only hope that now, CLDR is thoroughly re-engineering the way
> international or otherwise extended keyboards are mapped."
>
> reflect the situation accurately?
>
> Nothing in the PRI #367 blog post or background document communicated to
> me that CLDR was going to try to influence vendors to retire these
> keyboard layouts and replace them with those. I thought it was just
> about providing a richer CLDR format and syntax to better "support
> keyboard layouts from all major providers." Please point me to the part
> I missed.

A replacement candidate for US-International would only be a handy fall-off,
and it is up to MIcrosoft to decide whether it has the potential to enhance UX.

It all started up when Mark accepted to embrace the idea of adding a Numbers
modifier and a Programmer toggle after submission of CLDR ticket #10851:

unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/10851

I figure out that the working group is on a proof of concept.
Iʼm trying to make up some additions by the deadline of PRI #367.

Regards,

Marcel