Keyboard layouts and CLDR (was: Re: 0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?)

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jan 28 17:20:16 CST 2018

Mark Davis wrote:

> One addition: with the expansion of keyboards in
> http://blog.unicode.org/2018/01/unicode-ldml-keyboard-enhancements.html
> we are looking to expand the repository to not merely represent those,
> but to also serve as a resource that vendors can draw on.

Would you say, then, that Marcel's statements:

"Now that CLDR is sorting out how to improve keyboard layouts, hopefully
something falls off to replace the *legacy* US-Intl."

and:

"We can only hope that now, CLDR is thoroughly re-engineering the way
international or otherwise extended keyboards are mapped."

reflect the situation accurately?

Nothing in the PRI #367 blog post or background document communicated to
me that CLDR was going to try to influence vendors to retire these
keyboard layouts and replace them with those. I thought it was just
about providing a richer CLDR format and syntax to better "support
keyboard layouts from all major providers." Please point me to the part
I missed.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org