Why so much emoji nonsense?

Shawn Steele via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Feb 15 15:38:19 CST 2018

For voice we certainly get clues about the speaker's intent from their tone.  That tone can change the meaning of the same written word quite a bit.  There is no need for video to wildly change the meaning of two different readings of the exact same words.

Writers have always taken liberties with the written word to convey ideas that aren't purely grammatically correct.  This may be most obvious in poetry, but it happens even in other writings.  Maybe their entire reason was so that future English teachers would ask us why some author chose some peculiar structure or whatever.

I find it odd that I write things like "I'd've thought" (AFAIK I hadn't been exposed to I'd've and it just spontaneously occurred, but apparently others (mis)use it as well).  I realize "I'd've" isn't "right", but it better conveys my current state of mind than spelling it out would've.  Similarly, if I find myself smiling internally while I'm writing, it's going to get a :)

Though I may use :), I agree that most of my use of emoji is more decorative, however including other emoji can also make the sentence feel more "fun".

If I receive a �� as the only response to a comment I made, that conveys information that I would have a difficult time putting into words.

I don't find emoji to necessarily be a "post-literate" thing.  Just a different way of communicating.  I have also seen them used in a "pre-literate" fashion.  Helping people that were struggling to learn to read get past the initial difficulties they were having on their way to becoming more literate.

-Shawn