Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

Julian Wels via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Aug 23 20:43:39 CDT 2018

I think Blissymbols could be a separate, well-defined script in Unicode
because they are already more or less well defined by their respective
groups. This community of interest can lobby for these implementations as a
whole instead of multiple individuals separately.

Emoji were born in quite a different way and are in no way as well defined
as Blissymbols are for example. There is no self-governing forum of people
to discuss the future of emoji and forthcoming additions. Obviously,
because they gained international attention just as they were added to
Unicode-Standard but also maybe because "working with the Emoji
Subcommittee" is rather hard.

The conversation about Blissymbols made me think about a solution on how to
solve the current communication problem, although it might be a bit radical:
Why not remove the authority to propose new emojis from the ESC and give it
to a dedicated, public Emoji-Community. Such a community could formulate
additional guidelines for upcoming emojis, draft roadmaps and send a
quarterly proposal to the ESC for individual approval. Unicode Members
could still express ideas and exercise power through participating in the
community and appointing people to the ESC.

[image: diagram.png]

This change would remove pressure and workload from the ESC while retaining
most of the control, especially the last word, but the Emoji-Standart would
benefit from a dedicated community.

I'm just putting this out there. What are your thoughts on this? Do you
think this is unreasonable, or achievable?

Julian ��