Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

Julian Bradfield via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Aug 21 03:01:46 CDT 2018

On 2018-08-20, Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
> Moreover, they [William's pronoun symbols] are once again an attempt to shoehorn Overington's pet
> project, "language-independent sentences/words," which are still
> generally deemed out of scope for Unicode.

I find it increasingly hard to understand why William's project is out
of scope (apart from the "demonstrate use first, then encode"
principle, which is in any case not applied to emoji), when emoji are
language-independent words - or even sentences: the GROWING HEART
emoji is (I presume) supposed to be a language-independent way of
saying "I love you more every day". Which seems rather more
fatuous as a thing to put in a writing-systems standard than the
things I think William would want.

Not that I want to hear any more about William's unmentionables; I
just wish emoji were equally unmentionable.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.