Re: Combined Yorùbá characters with dot below and tonal diacritics

Luis de la Orden webalorixa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 19:19:23 CDT 2015

Dear all,

Many thanks for your responses which have given me enough insight to look
into several different ways of achieving what I want to do!

@Tom and @Don

I can see the logic behind stopping the creation of pre-composed characters
and agree with it, it is just not sustainable.

@Tom

Thanks for challenging my understanding of dead keys. I have a layout in my
Mac that works like a charm to write Yorùbá, Portuguese and Spanish with
the UK layout. I am having trouble with the Windows layout and should have
mentioned that more clearly. Nevertheless, I was using Microsoft Keyboard
Layout Creator and assumed that the limitations of the software (or the
limitations of my knowledge of the software) were the limitations of the
technology as a whole.

I have just got myself KBDedit Premium and realised the existence of
ligatures which I will give a try, also got Keyboard Layout Manager 2000, I
will learn best with two tools.

@Doug

I will check the fonts.

@Don

I got your book btw. It inspired me a lot. Apologies for the plug, I wrote
an article on my impressions on the matter of the usage of African
languages by natives after I read your book (
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-i-believe-almost-all-african-languages-endangered-luis-morais).
The article was also instigated by a chat I had with Jimmy Wales from
Wikipedia in 2012 about the reason behind the small amount of African
language content in Wikipedia and several conversations with Yorùbás
living in London.

@All

I am not sure if I am overstretching the purpose of this mailing list but I
was wondering whether someone would know how I could get started to bring
Yorùbá to OCR. I have self-funded the digitalisation of a couple of
dictionaries whose entries at the moment are being tonalised manually
(mainly because OCR doesn't recognise Yorùbá words from the PDF'ed
dictionaries but hoping to end this catch-22). On top of OCR, when this
glossary is fully tonalised it can be used to power all the kind of digital
functions western languages already enjoy such as auto-correct and so
forth.

Many thanks to all of you,

Luis (Louie)

   - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/empathlabs

Currently involved with the creation of www.yorubaname.com (led by the
Fullbright Fellow and Linguist Kọ́lá Tubosun)

   -